Friday, October 3, 2008

Oct 3rd-Diversity at USC

I have to say since I have been to USC I have experienced a very different style and levels of diversity from where I came from. I went to high school about five minutes outside of DC. Therefore when it comes to diversity I have to say where I lived is far more diverse just because DC is one of the most diverse places in the world. Just because USC isn't as diverse as DC doesn't mean it isn't diverse. I still have experienced a lot of diversity. One area of diversity I have found most prevalent is religion. The city I live in is about 99.9% jewish. There were no churches in my area and there was never discussion of religion. Here I have already been approached by several different religion groups or clubs. I have heard of more different religions in the month I have been here than I have my entire life prior to coming here. Also the diverse areas people come from have been interesting. In DC people come from all over the world but in my particular HS everyone was from Maryland. It is so interesting making friends with people from all over the country. I have made friends with everyone from places such as upstate new york, ohio, arizona, california, colorado, etc. You can really see how where the people came from influence them as a person. The kids from new york have significant differences than those that are here from south carolina. So although I came from somewhere I experienced a lot of diversity I have to say I have experienced a significant amount of diversity since I have come to USC as well.

No comments: